Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Ontario is helping families celebrate the province’s history and heritage by supporting the Tall Ships tour, as part of the War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebrations.
With support from the province’s Celebrate Ontario fund, the TALL SHIPS® 1812 tour launched in Brockville today. The tour will welcome visitors and families at Great Lakes ports across the province this summer, increasing tourism and creating jobs for participating communities. Dates include:
- Brockville: June 14 – 16
- Toronto: June 20 – 23
- Hamilton: June 28 – 30
- St. Catharines: June 29 and 30
- Sault Ste. Marie: July 19 – 21
- Georgian Bay: Aug. 16 – 18, 24 and 25
- Southwestern Ontario: Aug. 30 – Sept. 2
Supporting War of 1812 commemoration events in communities across the province supports the new Ontario government’s efforts to boost tourism, create jobs and build a stronger economy.
- Ontario recently supported improvements to several War of 1812 heritage sites province-wide including upgrades to the St. Lawrence Parks Commission’s Crysler’s Farm Battlefield and Fort Henry, and a new Visitor Centre at Fort York in Toronto.
- Festivals and events generate more than 22,000 jobs in Ontario every year.
- Celebrate Ontario is providing support to over 203 festivals and events in 2013.
- In 2011, tourism in Ontario contributed more than $23 billion to the economy and supported over 300,000 direct and indirect jobs.
Our government is proud to help commemorate the War of 1812 Bicentennial through our support for the TALL SHIPS® 1812 Tour. The Tall Ships are a spectacular way to mark a defining moment in our nation’s history. This tour will also help to draw more visitors, boost tourism and support jobs in local communities across the province.”