On Jan. 1, 2012 the Town of Eden will kick off their 200th anniversary celebration with a fireworks display.
The event is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. at the Eden America Newell-Faulkner Post 880 on Legion Drive with chili, beverages, and dessert, free to Town of Eden residents. Please bring non-perishable food donations for Eden-North Collins Food Bank and the WNY Food Pantry.
At 6 p.m., there will be a swearing-in ceremony for the newly elected and re-elected Eden Town Board members. A fireworks display will follow, beginning at 7 p.m.
Other events scheduled so far for the year are:
• March 24 there will be a program and party to commemorate the signing of the town’s charter.
• May 19 the War of 1812 comes to Eden as a living history encampment at the Asa Warren House. Members of the Boy Scouts of America Venture Crew will be participating.
• In May or June a Tug-of-War is to be scheduled between the Eden and Hamburg town officials. Both towns are celebrating its bicentennial birthday.
• July 18-22 the Vietnam Traveling Wall will be at the Eden America Newell-Faulkner Post 880 on Legion Drive.
• July 27-29 the Alumni Weekend has expanded activities to include the community at large with historical and cemetery tours.
• Aug. 2-5 is the Eden Corn Festival. The Bicentennial theme will be incorporated into many of the floats and activities.
• Sept. 21-23 is Heritage Days. This will be a celebration of times past in Eden. Activities will include old-fashioned baseball games, a picnic, antique tractors, a quilt show, historical displays, and demonstrations.
• Dec. 2, there will be an ecumenical service and celebration to close out the year.
This is a tentative schedule and is subject to change, according to the Eden NY Bicentennial Celebration 2012 website http://www.eden200.com.
Members of the community are being encouraged to get involved and volunteers interested in helping the Bicentennial Committee can call Sue Minekime, co-chair of the Bicentennial Steering Committee and Town of Eden co-historian at 992-3146.